Monday, September 8, 2008

The Bar, Sisyphus, and Redemption

There's a part in Dante's Purgatorio in which Sisyphus -- son of the king Aeolus of Thessaly and Enarete, and the founder and first king of Ephyra -- rolls a rock up a hill for all eternity to expiate for his sins. Actually, he rolls the rock up the hill a ways, only to see it roll back down, causing Sisyphus to start all over again.

I've felt like Sisyphus over the last few months. Studying for the bar for hours on end, and still not understanding the basics of commercial paper, was oddly akin to rolling that rock up the hill and then watching it roll away.

Well, my Sisyphean task is done. I have passed the New Mexico bar! The rock is gone, and I have entered Paradiso. It's been a long journey, and I'm eternally grateful to Demaree for shepherding me through. Hopefully, some day, Sisyphus will know the joy of casting off his rock and reaching the summit of his hill.

2 comments:

J and M said...

Hoooray!

Just don't move, if you have to re-take it somewhere else. I passed my psychology national licensing exam, but now have two more tests in TX (one not until January) to study for, and pass prior to work.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

tiff said...

Congrats!! That must feel so good to be done!