Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cake

B-Sides and Rarities

I recently bought Cake's new album "B Sides and Rarities": a compilation of some of Cake's lesser known songs, some concert numbers, and a couple new songs ("War Pigs" most noticeable among them). While I enjoy the CD, although it's not as nuanced as "Comfort Eagle" or "Fashion Nugget," it smells like, well, crap, seriously. I opened up the CD and notice a terrible, almost fecal smell. At first, I thought it was coming from outside -- we do live in the land of smelly cow farms -- but no, it was the CD.

Wanting to discover whether my CD was an anomaly, I searched a reason for the stench. Turns out the CD cover is made of entirely recycled material, but that just necessitates the question: from what material is it recycled? I'm sure we all remember the recycled paper we used in school. Sure it wasn't quite as white as non-recycled paper, but it sure didn't smell like crap.

I've e-mailed Cake to see what they have to say. I'll let you know what they say, if anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"War Pigs" was originally done by Black Sabbath (I believe)... but Cake does an amazing cover of it.